LIFELONG AIDS ALLIANCE ACTION BLOG

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Exciting updates from our dedicated volunteers: Bonnie & Jonah!

Hello everyone!

As AIDS Awareness & Action Day approaches in just 14 short days, I am happy to announce that we currently have 321 advocates registered from 42 legislative districts!

THANK YOU not only for registering to join us in Olympia on February 18th, but for sharing the news about this important event in your communities. This day would not be possible without the enthusiasm and support of our allies throughout the state.

I'm looking forward to having you join us in Olympia on February 18th!

Bonnie Lenneman

Bonnie is serving as Lifelong AIDS Alliance's Advocacy Coordinator as a member of the Jesuit Volunteer Corps Northwest


Last semester I had taken a course on the AIDS Pandemic at Bennington College in Bennington, Vermont, and part of the requirement for the course was to do an internship related to AIDS during the winter “Field Work Term.” I found it difficult to search the web and databases for an organization that I might intern at. “What do I even know how to do to help?” I thought. I was sensitive to the fact that learning about AIDS from a textbook and classroom point of view had given me only a limited view of that which is such a heavy reality in this world and I was worried that I might commit to a job that required a deeper sensitivity to the reality of AIDS then I was equipped for. “I might end up doing more harm than good if I try to champion a cause that I don’t have a clear real life understanding of,” I thought.

Working in the Advocacy department here at Lifelong AIDS Alliance, I have found an in-between. I believe that what I have ended up doing is simply defined, effective, and necessary: I’m facilitating people living with AIDS and people who deeply care about AIDS help themselves. By setting up meetings with legislators I believe that I am helping to my utmost of my ability, while remaining honest to the experience that I have, because I know that the time that I give is only going to benefit the advocates who, on February 18th, are advocating the cause of over 15,000 people who are estimated to be effected by HIV/AIDS in Washington State. That is a ripple effect that I am proud to be able to help facilitate.

With that I will turn to the numbers: so far we have people planning to attend from 42 districts of Washington. That means a total of 126 meetings need to be set up. Right now we have 86 positive and definite time slots reserved with 13 pending a call-back. Regrettably, so far 18 legislators have no free time that day but we will be vigilant! The plan is to try to catch them at a moment when, in one of their committees, they have the opportunity to step out for a couple minutes to talk with us. So with the day less than two weeks away I am closing in on the final 9 meetings that must still be organized.

I was lucky to find myself in the position that I am in now. It was perfectly well timed because the day I have to be back in Vermont is four days after AIDS Awareness and Action Day. When William Borden asked the other offices of Lifelong if they needed an intern between January 5th and February 22nd, Ania, the Advocacy Czarina, was quick to note that, yes, it would be a perfect fit. When I write my reflective essay for the school’s internship office, I imagine that I will be one of the few who gets to see their internship project through until its finality. So I hope we make an impact in Olympia just 16 days from now and I hope everyone who attends is heard with the utmost clarity and concern. And then, I am sure, I will be able to also reflect on my being able to help make possible something that was great.

Take care everyone.

Sincerely,

Jonah Lipsky


Jonah Lipsky is an Advocacy Intern at Lifelong AIDS Alliance. He is playing a large role in A3D preparations scheduling meetings with district legislators for February 18th, 2009.


Sign Up To Get Updates By Email - Register to attend via Facebook or LLAA

No comments:

Post a Comment